Remark! Interpreting | How to
page-template-default,page,page-id-16452,page-parent,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode-theme-ver-5.8,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-4.2.3,vc_responsive

How to…

Work with us +

We only employ flexible, approachable Interpreters who will support our clients to create an open and accessible working environment.

In return we promise to provide support, feedback and regular free training (via our in-house training division) – one of our biggest assets! Throughout the year we hold training courses on an array of different topics. This allows our Interpreters to gain a more in-depth understanding on various current issues which we hope will benefit the community in which they work.

We also offer a mentoring service to our budding Interpreters and CSWs, and have a range of highly-skilled and experienced RSLIs on hand to provide advice.

We strongly believe in investing in our staff, whether you are part of the in-house team or our regular pool of Interpreters.

If you are interested in joining our team please contact us for further information here.

Apply for Access to Work +

Access to Work (ATW) is funded by the government and can potentially pay towards an Interpreter or a Communication Support Worker to assist you when you are at work, or looking for work.

If you need a communicator at job interviews, then Access to Work may be able to pay some or all of the communicator costs.

You can also apply for Access to Work if you’re self-employed.

When you need communication support or an Interpreter for work, the first thing you need to do is contact Access to Work and tell them you would like to make a request for support for your job.

You can write, phone, text, fax or email them. Please see the contact details below for the different areas for ATW:

London, South East England, or East of England contact:
Jobcentre Plus
Access to Work Operational Support Unit
Nine Elms Lane
London SW95 9BH

Telephone: 020 8426 3110
Text phone: 020 8426 3133
Fax: 020 8426 3134

South West England, Wales, West Midlands, or East Midlands contact:
Jobcentre Plus
Access to Work Operational Support Unit
Alexandra House
377 Cowbridge Road East
Cardiff CF5 1WU

Telephone: 02920 423 291
Textphone: 02920 644 886
Fax: 02920 423 342

Alternatively, ask the Disability Employment Adviser (DEA) at your local Jobcentre about Access to Work.

If you are suitable for ATW, you will be sent an application form to fill in and send back. On the form, state how you would like Access to Work to contact you.

When they receive the completed form, an Access to Work adviser will contact you through your preferred method of contact.

Your employer’s responsibilities

Once your adviser from Access to Work has decided on a suitable package of communication support, they will seek formal approval of their recommendations from Jobcentre Plus. You and your employer will then receive a letter informing you of the approved level of support and the grant available.

Book a Language Service professional +

We work with over 400 Language Service Professionals (LSPs), these include BSL Interpreters, Communication Support Workers, Palantypists, Deafblind Interpreters, Deaf-Relay Interpreters, manual and electronic Notetakers, and also Interpreters within specialist areas such as medicine, law, and media.

If you are unsure what type of Interpreter or communicator you need, let us know and we can advise you.

There are four easy ways to book a Language Service Professional at Remark!.Choose one from the options below. We will contact you within 24 hours to acknowledge your request.

Fill in our online booking form

Call our office on: 0207 260 2626

Text us on: 07540 048 015

Or Email us

Tell the difference between RSLI, TSLI and CSW +

RSLI – Registered Sign Language Interpreter 
An RSLI is a Member of the Register of BSL/English Interpreters and will have met the nationally set recognised standards agreed by the Independent Registration Panel.

RSLIs comply with the National Occupational Standards in Interpreting (NOSI) (CILT 2006) and are competent practitioners in a variety of settings. RSLIs have a high level of English and BSL, as well as skills and knowledge about interpreting and the professional conduct. There are some professional settings in which only RSLIs should be employed, such as legal and mental health.

TSLI – Trainee Sign Language Interpreter
A TSLI is a Trainee Sign Language Interpreter who is working towards becoming an RSLI. To register as a TSLI, an individual must have BSL skills that have been assessed at Level 6 NVQ or equivalent, together with an agreed standard of English skills.  A TSLI will have completed a recognised Interpreter Training Programme or will be in the process of working through an assessment programme for the Level 6 NVQ in Interpreting (BSL/English).

TSLIs have a good knowledge of the Deaf community and interpreting issues. However, they may not yet have the amount of practical experience of interpreting required to meet MRSLI standards.

Communication Support Worker
Communication Support Workers (CSWs) are professionals who support the communication of Deaf students in education at all ages, and Deaf people in many areas of work, using a variety of methods including British Sign Language. Remark! only employs CSWs who have a minimum of Level 3 in British Sign Language.